Townsend vows to fight for starting role at Palace

Andros Townsend

Winger Andros Townsend has vowed to fight for his place at Crystal Palace.

The 28-year-old sees being dropped by manager Roy Hodgson as a challenge instead of an insult.

He leapt off the bench against Norwich on Saturday and made sure of the points by scoring Palace’s second goal in the 2-0 win.

That will do his chances of a recall no harm and the former Tottenham star says he’s desperate to get back in the side.

“It’s been difficult. Personally, it’s not been a great start to the season for myself. I’m not hiding away from that,” he said to Premier League TV.

“I have to keep working hard, take my chance like I did today and just be patient and when that chance does come again, I’m ready for it.”

Victory was the perfect response for the Eagles after allowing Wolves to snatch a last-gasp equaliser the week before.

Townsend said: “It has been a crappy week for us, conceding in the last minute against Wolves.

“So to be in that same situation, with 10 to 15 minutes to go with only a one-goal lead, you fear the worst.

“But we dug it out well and thankfully Wilf [Zaha] did a bit of magic, like he usually does, and I was able to finish it off to ease our fears for the last five minutes.

“We’re pleased as we’re still unbeaten but we’re ultra critical. We wanted the three points against Wolves last week, we’re disappointed about that. But to keep the unbeaten record is good and we’ll take that forward into the next games.”